Thursday, August 29, 2013

Throwback Thursday - Singapore

"I'm still not over it!", my mind said referring to our last trip in Singapore.  It's always nice to do things differently on a frequently visited place because every visit marks a distinct memory from the previous and it makes the journey extra special.  This time our Singapore visit were for:

A CELEBRATION

  1. Celebrating a 10 year old marriage on a high note.  
  2. SG celebrated the Nation's 48th Birthday. 
A DISCOVERY

  1. Marina Bay Sands is huge inside out.  Luxurious.  Stunning.  Architecture at it's finest. 
  2. There is now an option to eat your street ice cream inside a plastic cup.  I just saw it as we passed by the long queue along Orchard.
  3. Central Mall at Clark Quay starts to have their own version of Love padlocks or love locks and they call it Locks of Love.
  4. With from where we are from (Cebu) luxury cars are so rare.  So, a Mercedes Benz and a Chrysler as taxis are a real jaw-dropper.  Even here in KL they have no such high end taxis.  I really mean a taxi with a taxi sign on top of the car not a rent a car.
  5. So, its name is The Interlace and meant for residential.  It's like a storey of boxes and so very well positioned/designed.  I wasn't able to take a pic but you can check from here www.theinterlace.com.  All I can say is, "Wow!".
  6. Parking Location and Avail slots signage.  I don't know if I wasn't so keen last year but this time I was just all praise seeing the signage.  It's a very helpful tool, don't you think?
  7. SG released new designs for their coins. 
 A GLOBE-TROT

How I really wish we had globe-trotted!  But for now, having visited these shops were the closest we could get to these countries.

  1. France for Ladureé.  So, it was Ladureé.  I think, I still prefer TWG's Bain de Roses over Ladureé's Pétale de Rose but it doesn't mean Ladureé's is not delish.  In fact, I was on a bite after bite spree with the chocolate flavors.  We also tried Citron(Lemon), Caramel à la Fleur de Sol(Caramel with salted butter) and Strawberry Candy Marshmallow but it's the chocolate ones that made me pop.  I also like the SCM, the marshmallow compliments well and gave the macaron a different experience.  Over-all, the soft crunch of each macaron and the sweetness were well received by my palate.  Often is not my word for Ladureé but rare because it's heavy in the budget .  Each macaron costs SGD3.80.  My hands are too willing to receive them as a gift though!  I love the key ring and the bag but maybe, in the future or someone ... again ... will give it as a gift hehehe.
  1. Israel - Laline Bath and Body Care.  It was conceived by two Israeli cousins and they became an international brand over time.  I just chance upon it on the net then the curious me surfaced when I read the Dead Sea Salt content, intriguing! What I have is the Pomelo Classic Diffuser Set(non-body care prod), the Lavender Hand Relief Hand Cream, and the Body Peeling Soap Cocktail Tropical scent.  Oh my! I thought it's just a simple shower gel but peeling?  Hmmm, I'll just let you know then when I have become like a snake.  You know, skin shedding?!  Knock on wood hehe.  It has tiny beads so it's like a body scrub sibling.  The diffuser smells good but it seems too mild that an Ambi Pur can overpower its scent.  I used 6 sticks and everyday I swap the dipping ends still the smell doesn't linger long and doesn't fill the room with its fragrance only if you stay nearer to where the glass stands.  I'm kinda disappointed or this is how a diffuser really works?!  Ignorant me?!  Could be?! ☺ I use the hand cream before going to bed.  Pamper one's hands after all the day's domestic labor of love.  Hands that work hardest, deserves some lovin'!  For more info (if you like) you may browse from here www.lalineusa.com. 
  1. USA for Dean & Deluca store.  It's a shop for the chefs and ala chefs.  Olive oil, salt, and tomato sauces in various combination and type.  There are wines, kitchen utensils, and more too. If you want to give their products a try, there's a separate store beside the product store and give your tummy a fill.  Jack just bought the mini bottles of 6 in 1 pack at 20 ml per bottle consists of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Basil dressing, and Lemon dressing.  They tastes good.  Perfect for your green salad with or without salt.
  1. Turkey for the Turkish ice cream at CQ.  It's like DQ's blizzard where the ice cream stays put even when flip downwards.  Only they tastes differently and the Turkish ice cream is served with entertainment.



A FIRST TIME

  1. It's nice to look at but never had I the interest to ride one of those water taxis.  This time I rode one because of Z.  The route was from Clark Quay to MBS and back.  As you sail away there is history being played in the TV and it's up to you to listen intently or just focus on taking pictures.  Not bad for an experience as it was like having a  history class in a relaxed manner and into some a mundane four-walled classroom.  
  1. Plaza Singapura, Central, and Orchard Central.  These are malls of distinct building designs.  I am more fascinated with Plaza Singapura.  It's the facade and the mini park in front of the mall that captures my visuals.  They used big stones as benches and the greens, isn't it cool!




A REUNION

  1. Re-visiting Singapore is a reconnection of the place, the sceneries, and the fastest moving escalators at train stations which I really am not a fan.
  1. Sarpino's Express is gourmet pizza and we were smitten by it last year so it was in the to-do list.  We like the size and the taste.  It's along Orchard Road but this stall will soon be renamed as the franchise soon expires.  Unfortunately, my note is deleted so I can't divulge the new name now. tsk tsk.
  1. Surprise, surprise!  Jack got reunited with his Quiznos.  We were discussing about it days before the trip and tada! We never thought it will have a branch in SG and it was tummy filling happiness.  It's like Subway by the way.
  1. Oh! The extreme rides are still there at CQ.  It's almost 10 years too when July G. & I had 1st saw them.  We were sent for a Microsoft Training in SG and Myraflor(a High School classmate) was just too kind to give us a tour.  I'm not sure but I think there was bungee jump that time but what I can't forget are the riders nervous squeals and relieved laughter afterwards.  Xtreme rides you rock but I can never imagine myself on it.  Tino, Z, and Kliff had their funny acting moments while sitting on the model chair it's the best that they can do too ... strike a pose.
  1. It was a reunion with a family member (Kliff) and our Best Man(Tino).  It was a night of talk, laughter, reminisce the old times, food and beer at Hooters.  It was $$$$$ and the food was not that good.  It must be the beer, yes it was the beer hehehe.  1 pitcher costs SGD38.90 + SVC + GST.  What matters is that Jack enjoyed and we were in a good company too.  He seldoms hang out and we rarely have night outs. So, no problem☺.
  1. After all the days of happy, happy moments it was but appropriate to celebrate the Sunday mass at Cathedral of the Good Shepherd despite sleepiness.  A rainy day but a blessed day.  The priest gave out a good homily and it was delivered lively and with humor.  I miss that kind of delivery. ☺.
  1. Brunch at Black Angus.  We have the same food attendant.  She's a pioneer of the restaurant and she's on her 17 years.  I asked her what made you stay so long and she replied, "I'm old already so I stay."  She doesn't look like her age and she's the best in the resto.  She talks fast like someone is chasing after her but she's always the one who greets the guest with warmth and interest.  

L-L:  Xtreme rides   L-R: colorful restos at Clark Quay
U-L: 2nd Reading  U-R: Good Shepherd Church
L-L:  @ Black Angus   L-R:  Huober chili, sticks, & brezel and Kinder chocs @ Candy Empire; Shoes selfie .... until the next airport. 


A SHOCKING

Ewwww!  A drunk man peed behind Xtreme's Ad board or something.  Gosh! It was so unexpected, in SG?  Too bad my picture is a blur.  tsk! 

A REFLECTION

It's normal in SG to see old Aunties and Uncles still making a living.  It's sad and breaks my heart but they are a source of inspiration and courage as well.  They sell tissues at SGD1.00(for 3 mini packs), clean tables at restaurants/hawkers, work as a janitor, waiters and even pick cans from trash bins.  They are strong willed individuals who chose to do labor to make money and survive instead of being a parasite.  At their age, they uphold their honor and dignity to work and not merely sit on the streets and beg.  I feel for them.  This is one reality that no matter how advance or rich a country there'll always be discontentment, complains, and sad stories.    

AND A LOOKING FORWARD TO

  1. Future feature ... 77 new trains and 7 more integrated transport hubs.  
  1. Completion of Orchard Gateway.
  2. Going back to SG for another set of itinerary. Save. Save. Save. 
          Z enjoyed the Turkish ice cream and the head turner luxury cars.  He enjoyed watching the cars come to life.  It was like releasing cars from his game Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and unfolds before his eyes in reality.  His excitement was contagious every time Maserati, Jaguar, Porsche, Renault, Bently, Lexus, recent models for Audi, BMW, and M Benz speed by the streets of SG.  

          While waiting for our boarding time, Z and I busied ourselves counting all the loose change.  We made most of the remaining time and laughed our way for a shopping  spree at Candy Empire.  We patiently looked for items that exactly matches our money on hand.  Every cent counts! ☺☺ 

Until next time!   Got any Throwback Thursday to share too?  A happy day to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment