Sunday, September 8, 2013

Mid-Autumn Memories

          Even before Hari Raya I have already noticed the presence of mooncake booths near the groceries.  In my mind I just said "okay, mooncake."  The more they became visible and more mooncake offerings came as it gets mid-August.   Way back, I was too curious of tasting a mooncake but never had the intention of buying one though I did hope someone will give me one which never happened.  Then finally, I had a taste of it when an officemate shared it and she said it's just red bean inside.  I didn't even had the interest of learning what it is for and what it's really made of, I just accepted the red bean thingy.  I may have asked about mooncake festival but never left a memory.

          So when my Chinese-Malaysian friend asked me if I had tasted one I immediately said "Yes" and with full confidence I added "it's just red bean inside."  Then I knew that it's not just plainly made of red bean hehehe.  I asked her what happens on that day?  She said, children play with lanterns then Chinese families gather and celebrate.  But over time she said, it's not celebrated as much as it used to be.  But I think giving of mooncake to families/friends are still being practiced as she said she'll give me one.  At last, someone will give me a mooncake!  Excited hehehe!

          Because I was so impressed with what I saw at the Mid-Autumn Memories fair this afternoon my curiosity intensified.  There were booths from different establishments showcasing their mooncake flavors and My, oh my!  My eyes popped out, my neck stretched high trying to be like a giraffe, my pulse quickened, my mind was racing and I just want to walk around and see everything.  Actually!  Those descriptions were not meant for the mooncake but for the packaging! .   I was so drawn to the elaborately designed boxes.  I fell in love with the luxurious and impressive gift boxes of hotels -- Hilton, Renaissance, Shangri-la, and InterContinental.  Once all the mooncakes are consumed the boxes can still be used or recycled, not bad right?!  Call me crazy but it's just me, appreciative hehehe.  Okay back to the main thing.  Per booth has its own mooncake version and stuff.  There is the traditional mooncake flavor, tea flavored, mooncake ice cream (Haagen Dazs), and Hilton's special limited edition Musang King which is made of Durian.  It's their fast selling flavor.  I'm not a fan of Durian so I'm not so affected by it's unavailability.  So mean!  Anyways, we hang out at Hilton's booth and splurged with the free tastes.  Yes it's soft, smooth, sweet, I think 1 mooncake is to share unless you are a real lover of it, tastes good, it's like hopia of a higher level and for me it's $$$ per piece. For Hilton and it's nearby booths, it ranges from RM10 to RM33 a piece.  As I was so captivated with the boxes, I was not able to check with the other stores prices.          

booths at Mid Valley Mall
U-L:  Hilton boxes  U-R: Dragon-i boxes
L-L: Shangri-la boxes L-R: Renaissance boxes
U-L: InterContinental boxes   R: Haagen Dazs mooncakes and box
L-L: some of Hilton's mooncakes -- U-L: Yellow Moon (Snow skin Violet flower essence & chocolate center with brandy flavoured lotus paste) U-R: Baked white lotus paste
L-L: Blue Moon (Snow skin Amaretto lotus paste w/ blueberry cheese Feuillantine) 
L-R: Flower Drum (Snow skin lotus paste with soft custard egg yolk)


          So, Mid-Autumn Festival is a Chinese tradition in celebration of the Harvest Festival.  This year, its celebration will be on the 19th of September.  This is the time where Chinese families gather and celebrate.  It is worthy knowing as I read through Wikipedia that:

  • "sharing of round mooncakes among family members signify the completeness and unity of families".
  • "Meanings of the festival consists of 3 fundamental meanings closely tied to one another -- gathering, thanksgiving, and praying."  

Therefore, the mooncake is not just there as a mere cake to be eaten, to be given or received but one meaningful occasion.  Be it the Hari Raya, Mooncake festival, Christmas and other celebration, May we'll always remember that each celebration has an ultimate purpose(s) and each one holds values that can provide us understanding, inspiration, reminder, and guidance.  

Now I can say, I have my own Mid-Autumn memory too.  

---
Today is September 8 and it's the birthday of Mother Mary.  Let us not forget to greet her, thank her and worship her.  Have a blessed Sunday everyone.  It's time for me to Zzzzzzz!  




  

No comments:

Post a Comment