Wednesday, July 10, 2013

of Dates and gift baskets

               For the past weeks, I have noticed these beautifully wrapped gift baskets in the groceries, seeing Hari Raya Sale posters in shops, and receiving buffet offerings thru email.  Ramadan is approaching.

        As we visited the mall today, there are more beautifully wrapped gift baskets and boxes in Isetan and Parkson Department Stores.  Most gift boxes contain sweets and more sweets of every sweet stuff. There are also gift baskets in skin care shops.  The mall has changed its decorations and my oh my!  Huge hanging rice or puso in Bisaya are used at KLCC Suria Mall. 



shopping booths

      Dates are also everywhere in different brand name, packaging, and preparation.  


                              secretly taking pictures at Isetan grocery (ssshhhh)

I really wondered why the Date fruit is everywhere and what is its significance to the Muslims?  Now, I have the idea why as Mr. Google pointed me to these links and here is an excerpt:

- Muslims generally break their fast by eating dates. Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) is reported to have said: "if anyone of you is fasting, let him break his fast with dates. In case he does not have them, then with water. Verily water is a purifier."

http://www.examiner.com/article/benefits-of-the-recommended-dates-fruit-islam == this site can also give us the health benefits of eating Dates.


        Today is the start of every devout Muslim's holy fasting month - Ramadan Mubarak or Blessed Ramadan.  I know fasting is not an easy thing to do but I pray that they will be strong and courageous as ever.  It's also no secret to the world of how unstable some of the Muslim places are today but I know the Muslims are very prayerful and I know someday these troubled lands will find peace and harmony. 


Good night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment